Tuesday 29 December 2009

Peanut and chocolate squares


Christmas is over! So I should be concocting something wholesome and nutritous? Instead I've whipped up some no-bake peanut and chocolate squares. I just couldn't resist. I received loads of foodie gifts this year, and I stumbled across this recipe. My best foodie present was an egg cupboard from the mother-in-law. Truly inspired gift choice. It came with 2 egg cups, and little holes to keep your eggs. It looks so pretty on my work top.


Ingredients

for the peanuty base...
50g unsalted butter
200g smooth peanut butter
300g icing sugar
50g soft brown sugar

for the chocolately topping...

100g good dark chocolate
200g milk chocolate
1 tbsp unsalted butter

You can totally play around with the chocolate ratio, but I wouldn't go 100% milk, just reading the recipe is eye-wateringly sweet! The saltyness of the peanuts really makes it work.
  • Beat all the ingredients for the base in a bowl. I always use a wooden spoon, but a electric mixer would be absolutely fine. Once smooth, press down into a lined brownie tin. Try and make sure this layer is as smooth as possible
  • Next, melt the chocolate and tablespoon of butter. Double boiler, zap it in the microwave, whatever, as long as its melted! Personally I would put it in the microwave on medium for about 90 seconds.
  • Pour the molten chocolate over the peanut layer. The butter in the chocolate should make it look shiny and glossy.
  • Pop it in the fridge to set. It should take a few hours. Cut into very small squares once it has set.
Ta-da! These are incredibly more-ish, but jaw achingly rich. Hence the small squares. perfect with a cuppa.

No comments:

Post a Comment